My husband and I have become regular viewers of “The Great British Baking Show”. Recently there was an episode about quick breads, and I was very intrigued. I have made plenty of sweetbreads with baking soda and baking powder, but I never thought of doing it as a savory bread. I browsed through a few recipes for quick breads and found this recipe for Italian Herb Tomato Bread.
This bread was a win. It combines every basic Italian flavor and mixes it all together in a delicious loaf. Like an Italian-themed “carb” party. Not only that, but it took literally 5 minutes to put together, and then it went straight in the oven. Did I mention how much I enjoyed this bread?
We dipped it in homemade marinara sauce, which I’ll share the recipe for. It involves a mason jar, like all hip, modern recipes do.
This Italian bread is very aromatic, the smell of it baking was amazing! I hope you decide to give this a try.
Italian Quick Bread with Marinara Dipping Sauce
IngredientsFor the bread:
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 tablespoons milk
- 1 cup grated cheddar
- 3 tsp minced garlic
- 1 pound fresh tomatoes
- 1T dried basil
- 1 T dried oregano
For the Marinara:
- 1tsp dried basil
- 1tsp dried oregano
- 1tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 12 oz can tomato sauce
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease an 8.5-inch bread loaf pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir in the egg, oil, and milk, followed by the grated cheese. The batter will be very thick.
- Combine the garlic, tomatoes, basil, and oregano in a food processor. Chop the tomatoes and garlic until no large pieces remain, but mixture is not completely smooth.
- Fold the tomato and garlic mixture into the batter. Resulting batter will still be thick.
- Pour (scoop) the batter into the prepared loaf pan. Bake 45-50 minutes, until a tester inserted into the center of the bread comes out clean.
- Cool for at least 20 minutes before serving.
- While bread is baking, combine all of the ingredients for the marinara sauce into a mason jar, and shake until all the contents are combined. The further ahead of time you make this sauce, the more time it has to develop a better flavor. Refrigerate any leftovers.